Start-Up Lawyers in Brisbane
Lets Help you Grow your Business.
We have a passionate team that is focused on new businesses. If you need help to grow your business, you have come to the right place.
Our Start-Up Law team don’t just take an active interest in start-ups — several have real experience working in or running start-ups themselves.
The business world as we know it is quickly evolving. Technology continues to be the forefront of this change and the world is connected in a more advanced pace at the click of a button. To compete in the business world, businesses must be strategic and forward thinking in the way they conduct business.
With the Government-funded “Ideas Boom“ now gaining traction, the stage is set for a whole new era of start-ups and innovators.
If you are thinking of venturing into a business start-up, the following would be important for you to consider:
- Robust and clear contracts for goods and services supplied;
- Intellectual property protection;
- Appropriate company structuring;
- Asset protection;
- Liability risk management;
- Employment Contracts;
- Employee Share Schemes;
- Venture Capital Arrangements;
- Exit strategies;
- Memorandums of Understanding with trade partners;
- Lease reviews; and
Obviously, each Start-Up is different. Your business is unique and comes with its own purpose and structure to stand out in a competitive market. This is why we believe initial face-to-face conferences are essential to get a feel for your business and determine your need.
While we offer consultations in our Brisbane office, we also offer video conferencing as an alternative.
If you are interested in an initial consultation, please get in touch with our client engagement team here.
As with any new business, the initial set up needs to be done correctly. To avoid running into trouble down the track, it is important that you get expert advice from our experienced team.
We have noticed there can be a tendency to postpone legal considerations until you feel the costs can be justified. However, a large percentage of our work comes from business owners who postpone and run into trouble six months to a year down the track. Reach out to us and see how we can assist you so that you don’t run into trouble later on and getting the right advice from the get go will allow you to concentrate on growing your business.
The “Ideas Boom”
In 2015, our then Prime Minister Turnbull announced a new era of start-up and small to medium enterprise (SME) development and funding. Our Start-Up team have been reviewing all legislation and material as it becomes available, and are well versed in the emerging areas. Aspects we can advise on relative to the new opportunities include:
- Crowd Sourced Equity Funding
- These allow start-ups to source capital through “crowd funding”. The law and mechanisms surrounding this are quite complex, but it will be an incredibly powerful tool with great potential.
- Venture Capital Limited Partnerships
- These allow financial supporters of a start-up significant tax exemptions; which can be a powerful incentive to attract investors.
- Preparing Digital Marketplace launch
- Access to Company Losses
- “Incubator” Support Programmes
- Changes to Insolvency Law
- Intangible Asset Depreciation
- Employee Share Schemes (ESS)
- Employee share schemes (ESS) are usually offered to employees for the dual purpose of aligning their interests with that of the company, and allowing cash-poor companies (especially start-ups) to propose incentives beyond a traditional salary
We offer services across the whole landscape of business, including many fixed fee services. These include:
- Strategy and Structure
- Terms and Conditions of Trade
- Intellectual Property
- Confidentiality Agreements
- Contract Negotiation and Documentation
- Privacy Policies
- Partnership and Shareholder Agreements
- Purchase of Business
- Purchase of Shares
- Commercial and Retail Shop Leasing
- Loan/Funding Agreements
One of the most important aspects of running a new business is knowledge of the business world and how it relates to you. We offer a free range of resources and articles to Start-ups available to you for the benefit of your business. The most recent can be found below, or find the complete library of resources here.
Thinking of getting a start-up lawyer?
We’d love to talk to you. Call 07 3252 0011 and ask to speak with our client engagement Team – they’d be happy to listen to your challenges – and see how we can help you. They’ll be able to arrange an appointment for you with one of our commercial lawyers, too.