Churches and Religious Institutions whether they be affiliated with a major religious group or otherwise need specialist legal advice on their legal structures, tax endorsements and registrations to ensure that they operate appropriately within the Australian legal system.
We act for many different religious groups to set up their legal structures, review and alter their existing legal structures and advise them generally on not for profit legal compliance issues.
Religious Institutions are generally entitled to be registered Charities with the ACNC and endorsed by the by the Australian Taxation Office with tax exemptions and concessions. However the ATO expects that the Institution will self-assess itself annually to satisfy itself that it is still entitled to its exemptions and concessions.
Other legal issues particularly affecting religious institutions, that we regularly advise on include:
- Property (including Land Tax exemptions)
- Charitable Trusts, Property Trusts
- GST compliance
- Disputes and Litigation
- Complaint handling
- Dispute mediation
- Intellectual Property compliance audits & advice
- Governance Guidelines
- Governance secretarial/administrative training & support
- Volunteer qualifications
- Risk Management
- Safeguards for protecting the vulnerable
- Privacy and sensitive information obligations
- Tax (ATO) audits