Nina Flewell-Smith | Director
Nina advises in the areas of corporate, commercial and not-for-profit/charity law.
She regularly advises on multi-faceted, high value transactions and is focused on cutting through complexity to the commercial drivers behind the matters she handles. She has built strong long-term relationships with her clients through understanding both their commercial and personal needs, and providing them with direct and honest advice about the best course of action.
Nina holds a Bachelor of Laws from Bond University and a Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice from the Queensland College of Law.
She has served on multiple not-for-profit and charity boards during her time in the profession (including the board of a higher education institution), and is currently a council member of a large independent P-12 school on the Gold Coast. She is regularly invited to present to legal professionals on emerging topics in her practice areas.
Nina is an avid traveler, and loves to explore destinations that are off the beaten track. Outside of work, she enjoys reading and exercising.
- Business structuring and establishment
- Business sales and purchases
- Drafting and reviewing terms and conditions
- Contract review and preparation.
- Retail and commercial leasing
- Transactional duties and taxes
- Complex property transactions
- Trust structuring
- Structuring and establishing charitable entities (including schools and churches)
- Charitable taxation endorsements and registration (including Deductible Gift Recipient endorsement)
- Estate structuring and succession planning
- Complex wills (including Wills with Testamentary Discretionary Trusts) and enduring powers of attorney.
- Mergers, Collaborations and Strategic Alliances: When Teaming Up Makes Good Sense (Co-authored with Andrew Lind)
- More Bang for your Buck? A State by State Review of Duty, Land Tax and Payroll Tax Exemptions Available to Charities (Co-authored with Andrew Lind)
- Structuring the Care Arm of Churches (Webinar January 2017)
- Structuring to Move DGR Money to the Recurrent Expenditure of School Operations (Webinar August 2017)
- Contesting the Refusal of a Body Corporate to Grant Exclusive Use: Lessons from Ainsworth v & Ors v Albrecht & Anor
- Narrowing of State and Territory Tax Exemptions for Charities in 2015
- Charity Payroll Tax Exemption Limits
- Charity Payroll Tax exemptions – Chamber of Commerce and Industry of WA case
- Poor Will Drafting can be an Expensive Exercise– Lessons from Hope v Schneider  QSC 044
- What are Mutual Wills
- Wills for Minors
- Statutory Wills
- Charities – Land Tax Exemptions for Vacant Land (Webinar October 2014)
- Charities – Are you getting the Land Tax Exemptions you’re entitled to? (Webinar August 2014)
- Employment – Avoiding contravention of discrimination laws
- Unfair Dismissal: Rights of employers and employees
- Privacy Law Changes for Business & NFP clients (March 2014)
- Changes to the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth): Implications For Schools
- Spousal Maintenance Fact Sheet
- Home Schooling & Distance Education – Legal Perspectives (Legal Aid Queensland)
Get in touch with an expert lawyer
Or use this form to send us a message: