Fiona Manderson | Special Counsel
Fiona was admitted to practice in the Supreme Court of Queensland and the High Court of Australia in January 2005.
She has worked in private practice in small and medium size firms, and at Legal Aid Queensland for a number of years, including in the specialist Violence Prevention unit.
Fiona has appeared in the Coroners Court and the former Queensland Anti-Discrimination Tribunal and has experienced dealing with complex commercial and employment law litigation.
More recently, she had undertaken defamation, consumer protection, discrimination, contractual disputes, and appeals in the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal, Federal Circuit Court, Federal Court, Supreme Court and Court of Appeal including complex multi-jurisdictional matters.
She has extensive experience in Family Law and related matters and has regularly appeared as a solicitor advocate in the Magistrates Courts, District Court, Supreme Court, Federal Circuit Court and Family Court.
Fiona advises and represents clients in a range of matters including:
- General commercial litigation
- Family Law Parenting
- Family Law Property
- Spousal Maintenance
- Guardianship matters
Fiona is experienced in listening to clients and understanding their needs, assessing the situation and providing accurate advice and options to achieve a resolution.
She enjoys working with her clients to obtain good outcomes for families during what is usually a very stressful time.
Fiona is experienced in direct negotiations, representing clients in mediation and Family Dispute Resolution and court applications. Fiona recognizes the importance of settling matters early.
Fiona has served on the board of 3 not-for-profit organisations, including an Independent Church board.
- Bachelor of Laws (Hons)
- Master of Laws
- Bachelor of International Business
- Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice
- Vocational Diploma of Family Dispute Resolution
Fiona is accredited as an Independent Children’s Lawyer and as a Family Dispute Resolution Practitioner. She regularly volunteers her time at Women’s Legal Service.
- Mediation and Family Dispute Resolution options – alternatives to going to Court
- Changing or ending a spousal maintenance order
- Changing a Child’s Name
- The Divorce Process – One Step At A Time
- New Bill to Address Domestic and Family Violence in Queensland
- Domestic Violence and Family Violence in Focus by the Queensland Government
- Child Abuse – Mandatory Reporting Requirements for Teachers
- Home Schooling & Distance Education – Legal Perspectives (Legal Aid Queensland)
Fiona is a regular presenter of technical papers and training at professional development seminars at the invitation of various peak bodies, schools and colleges, and continuing legal education providers such as TEN (Television Education Network), Legalwise, ACC (Australian Christian Churches), QB (Queensland Baptist), ACS (Associated Christian Schools) and QASR (Queensland Association of School Registrars).
Technical paper and training presentations Fiona delivers, include topics:
- Managing Harmful Sexual Behaviour in the School Environment
- Mastering the complexities of family law
- Family Law Compliance Issues In Schools
- Challenging Students and Difficult Situations
- Dealing With Sexual and Physical Abuse Issues
- Family Law, Domestic Violence and Ministry Implications
- School Enrolment Contracts
- Family Law for Schools – Getting Enrolment Right
Get in touch with an expert lawyer
Or use this form to send us a message: