What Drives Us
We are committed to being agents of justice and mercy in the community – seeking to make a positive contribution to the fabric of this world.
What We Do
Registration And Endorsement As Charities
Educational institutions may be for profit or not for profit.
To be exempt from tax, non profit educational institutions in Australia need to be registered as a charity with the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission and endorsed as charitable by the ATO.
Endorsements need to be reviewed annually by the educational institution to ensure that the institution is still entitled to those endorsements.
Additional endorsements (registrations) are usually required under State-based stamp duty and land tax legislation.
Common School Law Issues For Schools & Educational Institutions
In addition to the not for profit tax endorsement issues the education sector faces a series of legal issues which require not just good legal advice but legal advice that thoroughly understands the educational context.
Our school & education lawyers understand and regularly advise educational bodies on:
- Tax concessions
- DGR funds
- ACNC compliance
- Accreditation and registration issues
- Enrolment contracts and processes
- Debt recovery
- Employment and collective agreements
- Legal structures
- Property (acquisitions, disposals, leasing, licensing, easements)
- Charitable trusts
- Leasing, licensing and hire arrangements
- Risk management & insurance
- Sensitive information and mandatory reporting obligations
- Complaint handling
- Excluding disruptive parents from school premises
- Family law issues
- Privacy law issues
- ATO reviews and audits