Alistair is an Australian Legal Practitioner. He was admitted as a legal practitioner of the Supreme Court of the Australian Capital Territory in 2001 and has experience in the ACT, NSW and QLD jurisdictions.
He has been employed as a legal adviser / solicitor with a number of government organisations such as:
- Department of Defence
- Australian Federal Police
- Queensland Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries
Alistair has been advising across many areas of law, as well as working as a criminal prosecutor.
Alistair has extensive experience in contract law, employment law, discrimination law, government contracting, law and decision making, dispute resolution, litigation and criminal law.
Alistair has advised during complex, high value and long term commercial and government negotiations, tenders and contract documents (often across jurisdictional boundaries) including contracts between private enterprise and government, between government departments and different governments.
He has acted both on the government and private enterprise side of the negotiations and is well-equipped to understand the different objectives and decision making imperatives and processes from both perspectives.
Alistair has personally appeared in numerous Tribunals and Courts as advocate for individuals, schools and other corporate clients, including:
- Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT)
- Mental Health Tribunal
- Fair Work Australia
- Queensland Industrial Relations Commission
- Guardian and Administration Tribunal
- Anti-Discrimination Tribunal
- Magistrates Court
- District Court
- Supreme Court
He has instructed Counsel in numerous trials and complex matters, including lengthy jury trials for serious criminal offences and complaints of discrimination.
Alistair has been directly involved with the drafting of numerous Collective Agreements and has advised corporate clients during the process of negotiating Collective Agreements.
Alistair has also undertaken extensive PeaceWise (Christian Dispute Resolution) training as a Conflict Coach and Mediator.
Alistair is currently a board member of Queensland Baptists. He was the former President of the Christian Lawyers Society Inc. (Qld).
- Understanding and Navigating Informed Consent from Students and Parents
- Challenging Student Behaviours – Dealing Effectively with Students, Their Parents, Other Families and Staff
- Staff Social Media and Misconduct TVED
- Removal of the Statute of Limitations for Child Sexual Abuse: Can the Court Still Permanently Stay a Claim?
- Dealing With Sexual Abuse Issues
- Playing by the Rules – Managing Student Disabilities & Avoiding Claims of Discrimination
- Mandatory Reporting of Sexual Abuse by Queensland Schools – Forthcoming Changes
- Legal Issues In Enrolment for Schools
- Application of the Unfair Contracts Regime to School Enrolment Contracts
- Procedural Unfairness Can Void an Entire Misconduct Investigation
- Sex Discrimination – Behavior v Orientation
- Social Media and Privacy in the Workplace
- Restraint of Trade in Employment Contracts
- Avoiding contravention of discrimination laws
- Dealing With Staff Discipline
- Redundancy Defence to Unfair Dismissal
- Addressing Mental Health & Injury in the Workplace
Alistair is a regular presenter of technical papers and training at professional development seminars at the invitation of various peak bodies and continuing legal education providers such as ACS (Associated Christian Schools), AISQ (Independent Schools Queensland), and CMA (Christian Management Australia).
- Bachelor of Arts (QUT);
- Bachelor of Laws (QUT);
- Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice (ANU); and
- Master of Arts (ACT)
Alistair is undertaking post-graduate studies in Theology and its integration with legal practice.