Brisbane Employment & HR Lawyers
We offer employment law services, Australia wide (not just in Brisbane), throughout the entire employment relationship, from advice in the pre-selection and contract formation stage, through to advice on the relationship between employee and employer, through to advice when the employment relationship comes to an end.
Fair Work Act & Fair Work Australia
We are providing advice to many of our clients on the Fair Work Act 2009 (which applies from 1 July 2009) and the changes that need to be made to their Contracts, Policies and Processes.
- Issues during recruitment and selection, including avoiding discrimination.
- Employment Contract negotiation and advice on specific terms (i.e. extent of restraint of trade provisions, intellectual property ownership, confidentiality).
- Drafting of Collective Workplace Agreements (including drafting of Union and Non-Union Collective Agreements).
- Managing employee and employer expectations.
- Reviewing Employer Policies (including grievance and discipline policies).
- Advising on employee entitlements.
- Advising on employee discipline.
- Advising on employee termination.
- Representing employees and employers at grievance and discipline hearings.
- Advising and representation for unfair or unlawful termination of employment.
- Advising on redundancy and other employee entitlements.
- Initiating or defending proceedings for breach of the Contract of Employment.
- Preserving and enforcing intellectual property, confidentiality and restraint of trade obligations when the employment relationship sours.
The Independent Contractor/Consultant
- Drafting suitable contracts for engagement of contractors/consultants.
- Ownership of intellectual property.
- Preserving confidentiality and client relationships.
- Advising on the application of the “Unfair Contracts” Commonwealth and State Jurisdictions.
Employment in the Christian Sector – Specific Issues
Employment within the Christian Sector is different to “usual” employment relationships. In our experience, having an employment lawyer who understands the Christian Sector will assist you in achieving your ministry objectives.
For example, we routinely consider and advise Christian clients on the following types of issues:
- Employee, Spiritual Appointee or Volunteer? Determining the best method for engaging your employees.
- Exempt Fringe Benefit issues for religious practitioners.
- Treatment of Family Tax A, Family Tax B and Parenting Payments for religious practitioners.
- Dealing with morality/lifestyle clauses within the Contract of Employment.