Deductible Gift Recipients (DGRs)
Charitable Institutions or Funds that are endorsed by the ATO are generally able to issue tax deductible receipts to their donors for gifts over $2.00.
The ATO recognises and endorses a number of different types of DGR’s. Some of those DGR’s are:
- Public Benevolent Institutions (PBI’s)
- Public fund for persons in necessitous circumstances
- School (or college) building fund
- Scholarship fund
- Public fund for religious instruction in government schools
- Public institution for research
- Public authority for research
- Health promotion charity
- Ancillary fund
Our advice to DGR’s includes matters such as:
- Establishment and Formation
- Does your organisation qualify for a DGR endorsement?
- Qualifying for and maintaining your DGR status (an annual self review is required)
- Tax Endorsement Reviews
- Remaining “public”
- “Gift” rules
- Involvement in “commercial enterprise”
- What to do when the ATO writes to you requesting information?
- Connection with “Australia” required
- Overseas Aid